Sunday, May 22, 2011

My Favorite Winter Cocktail

Summer is on the way so why am I posting about my favorite winter cocktail? Well, I guess I'm just as happy drinking it any time as in the winter, but in the winter it's my go to drink.  Why, you ask? Maybe it's the beautiful bronze color or maybe it's the warm licorice aroma that permeates my mouth.  I hope you find it as enjoyable as I do and you have a partner willing to make it for you any time.

Sazerac - America's First Cocktail

Ingredients
  • 1/4 teaspoon Pernod (or Absinthe)
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon Peychaud's bitters
  • Dash of Angostura bitters
  • 1 Tablespoon water
  • 2 ounces bourbon or rye (or a blend of the two)
  • Lemon peel for garnish
Mix the sugar, bitters, Pernod and water in a cocktail shaker.  Stir until sugar is dissolved.  Add ice and bourbon and then shake.  Strain into a cocktail glass (rock or martini).  Serve over ice or in a chilled glass.  Rub the lemon peel around the lip of the glass and toss in.

Makes 1 serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment