Monday, May 23, 2011

Books for Cooks


I've had a lot of cookbooks over the years.  I've probably gotten rid of more than most people ever own.  You won't be surprised to hear me say that I love cookbooks.  My kitchen has peninsula with a wall of cookbooks.  I am often asked if I cook from them all. My husband would say no, but I would hedge my answer.  I may not follow an exact recipe from a cookbook but they provide great inspiration and generate lots of ideas. I do have to admit that I often prefer cookbooks with pictures, but there are a few exceptions of good ones that have none (e.g., The Silver Palate Cookbook).

What do I look for in a cookbook?  Something that is easy to read, well-organized structure, at least one recipe I wouldn't have thought of on my own and want to make, and creative (e.g., InterCourses).  My pet peeve is recipes that refer to multiple sub-recipes somewhere else in the book.  I just tossed out a book because of that.  A little is ok, but recipe after recipe where it's just references to other recipes makes me want to rip the book apart.

So, here are a few cookbooks that top my list of must haves. I've got more, of course, these are just a few in no particular order -

The Joy of Cooking - of course.  A basic for anyone.  I use it for reference and basics.

InterCourses - seriously, this is a fun cookbook and the perfect bridal shower gift! It isn't overflowing with recipes, but the photos are gorgeous and the few items I've made from it are outstanding.

Martha Stewart's Hors D'Oeuvres Handbook - I know, I say Martha and you cringe.  It's ok, this one's a keeper.  This one has great photos that are essential for getting the presentation idea juice going.

Two Fat Ladies  - I love the old television series (now showing on the Cooking channel) and cookbooks.  Not that I cook from much from these, but they delight me and evoke fond memories of my days in London at The Cordon Bleu Cookery School.

One of the best wedding gifts I was ever given was an old Sunset cookbook that my friend had used throughout her life.  She had annotated every recipe she had cooked with the date, maybe the weather or the occasion, and a few comments.  I treasure this cookbook more than any other and carry on the same practice, which may someday result in my giving one to a dear friend getting married.

No comments:

Post a Comment