Sunday, April 17, 2011

Salt Cellars

Olive Wood Salt Cellar from La Tienda

Ok, I'll admit, I'm probably obsessed with salt cellars and salt.

I buy salts for particular purposes and  I've always wanted a way to store the various salts where they can be accessed quickly and easily.  A jar in a cupboard or worse yet, some ziplock fancy bag, just doesn't cut it.  Salt cellars are the way to go.  I also wanted something with a lid so I could leave it out on the counter - again, easy accessibility is the key.  I found my nirvana.  Beautiful carved olive wood double salt cellars.  These were just the ticket and I want to rave about them.  Just have to give a slight nudge to one side and it opens easily, nicely, and perfect size to grab a pinch of salt and sprinkle over whatever dish you're cooking.  I have three sets of two.  Yup, you got it, I have six easily accessible choices of salt at my fingertips.  To boot, the containers are beautiful - each with its own delightful wood grain on top.  I've memorized which salt is in which container by the top.  I'm also one of those wacky types that has about 30 jars of different spices and herbs and not one with an accurate label or any label at all.

Why so many?  Gray salt goes best with greens.  Kosher for most everything else.  Chunkier sea salt for grinding in a mortar and pestle (or spice grinder) when making spice blends or pastes.  The others?  Well, let's just say I'm strange that way.  Nevertheless, if you're wanting easy access to sprinkling salt on your food as you cook (or I suppose, heaven forbid, you could use the 2nd side for pepper) and gorgeous woodwork on your counter to show off, this is the ticket for you.  I know there are other options out there, but these are the most beautiful I have seen.  Here is the link if you want to order one.  I have no investment in this company, just love this product.

No comments:

Post a Comment