Saturday, April 16, 2011

My Grandma's Asparagus

My first post has got to be about the most delightful food I have ever eaten and a tribute to the good food I was raised on, from the delectable meals my parents provided to the treasures prepared by my grandmothers. My paternal grandmother created what has got to be the most sinful asparagus ever.  I could eat pounds of it. 

I have two versions of this recipe. The first is the simple way my grandmother prepared it.  The second is my non-packaged (and non-dairy) version.


Grandma's Asparagus - Version 1

Ingredients
  • 1 pound asparagus
  • 1/3 cup store-bought pancake mix (Krusteaz, etc)
  • 2-3 Tablespoons Canola oil
Preparation

Wash asparagus, but do not dry.  Trim hard ends from asparagus.  My favorite way to do this is take each stalk and from the bottom up work your way up the stalk bending it until it snaps easily.  Slice asparagus into thin rounds.  Toss into a bowl and shake the pancake mix of the top.  Toss together until rounds are coated.  If you need more mix, shake more over and toss together until asparagus rounds are lightly coated.

Heat oil in a non-stick 10" skillet over medium heat.  When slightly shimmering, add asparagus and spread it out.  If you ended up with too much floury mix try not to add it to the pan.  Now that the asparagus is cooking, try not stir until the bottom is browned to your liking.  I know, it's hard, but resist the temptation.  Once the bottom has lightly browned stir again and let it sit until lightly brown.  Cook until it's the crispness you like.

Grandma's Asparagus - Version 2

Ingredients
  • 1 pound asparagus
  • 4 Tablespoons flour
  • 1 Tablespoon powdered sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
  • 2-3 Tablespoons Canola oil
Instructions are the same as above, but mix the dry ingredients together for version 2 before tossing with the asparagus.

Variations - try adding a chopped onion or sliced green onions to the asparagus before coating (note that you'll need more dry ingredients if you add more vegetables).

No comments:

Post a Comment