Saturday, March 17, 2012

Simple Appetizer



I recently had the wonderful opportunity to host my old book club while on a return visit to the city I moved from eight years ago.  It was wonderful to see everyone and have them all read my current favorite book, Stealing Mona Lisa.  Among the few nibbles I offered the favorite was cream cheese with Jezabel Sauce.  It's a very simple appetizer  that is sweet and salty with just the slightest hot kick.  They begged me to put it up on my blog.  Next time I'm going to put this sauce over goat cheese.

Jezabel  Sauce and Cheese Appetizer

Ingredients
  • 8 ounces regular cream cheese, tofutti, chèvre or goat cream cheese
  • 2/3 cup citrus marmalade (e.g., orange, mixed citrus, kumquat)
  • 2 Tablespoons horseradish sauce, or more to taste (use prepared sauce, not freshly grated)
Preparation

Bring all ingredients to room temperature.  Mix marmalade and horseradish together.  Spoon over cheese and serve with crackers.  If using a cream cheese, you can save a little back and put into a piping bag and decorate the rest of the block with rosettes before spooning over the sauce.  The decorating works best if serving a large crowd and using the big blocks of cream cheese (3 lbs.) you can purchase at Costco or a restaurant food supply store.  You then have more cream cheese to decorate with. It's a little skimpy to do this with the 8 ounce block, but doable if you double all the ingredients.

My mother makes a delicious kumquat marmalade that really sets this dish off, so if you have a kumquat tree, it's totally worth making marmalade out of the fruit and using it for this recipe!

Serve with crackers.

You can also serve the Jezabel sauce with meats such as ham, beef, or lamb.

2 comments: