Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Catbird Seat Review

Oh my, oh my, oh my - if you live in Nashville, you finally have an opportunity to partake of an amazing tasting menu.  The Catbird Seat, from the owners of Patterson House, is a new small, 32-seat dining option. Although you might be hard pressed to get reservations within the month, it is an experience.  This isn't going out for dinner, this is truly something different, and we finally have it here in Nashville, with all the southern charm that makes the experience unique to living in the south. The owners, chefs and beverage manager are wonderful. They make delicious, remarkable food and they warmly welcome you and explain each course and matching beverage as they place them in front of you.

The food was great, and the paired drinks/wine were fascinating.  I highly, highly recommend you get the drink/wine pairing rather than just a bottle of wine. For some of the food/drink combinations I truly wondered how they figured out, out of all the beverages and combinations they could make, that that particular combination worked.  Given the unusual creations, they have a very astute and well-drunk (is that really a word that connotes the right message - I'm looking for the equivalent of "well-read") beverage manager.



Timing between the 9 courses was perfect. I was never wondering when the next course was coming and never felt it was there before I was ready. I was satiated when I left, but my runner husband was sad it was over and still wanting more.

Here is a picture catalog of each course:





The second taste was served with a cocktail that included Cocchi Americano, dry Reisling, and carbonated Rhum Agricole.


Served with a E. Dupont Cidre Bouche from Normandy France.  It was so earthy that it paired exceptionally well with the food, but I didn't care for it on its own. However, others at our table loved it both with and without food.


 
The optional fourth taste for those who wouldn't eat eggs - Octopus in its own ink sauce


The kimchi cod was probably my favorite taste.  Kimchi was pureed and dried into a ribbon wrapped around the cod, which was perfectly cooked.  If you read my post on Spanish food trends you will remember my disparaging comments about avocado with fish.  It just didn't work in the dishes we had in Spain, but the dab of avocado here perfectly off-set the spiciness of the kimchi.  This was served with a 2007 Robert Weil Reisling from Rheingau, Germany.

The duck was served with a 2009 Monfiore Gewurztraminer from the Willamette Valley, Oregon.


This was probably my second favorite taste.  The beef had reportedly been cooked for days.  It was incredibly tender, and the little piped dollop of truffle cream was amazing. This was served with a 2006 Domaine de Durban Beaumes-de-Venise, France.  We had visited this very winery last summer and loved their wines.



This was an explosion of flavor with curry, shitake, apricot and parsley in an eye-pleasing presentation.  Who doesn't love that bowl?  This was paired with a Belgian beer.


Another amazing presentation.  The drink on top was a blend of Lucky Bucket Certified Evil, Sherry and Madeira.  I could have been satiated here, but no there was more...

Here were flavors and textures that continued to melt in your mouth.  This was paired with a Royal Tokaji.  Then we finished up as we began - with oreos - this time sweet coffee and cream oreos.


Here is the menu they present us at the end.  Awesomeness!  If I haven't convinced you yet, I would be stunned...make your reservations now!  If you don't live in Nashville and plan to visit - make your reservations well ahead of time!

No comments:

Post a Comment