Sunday, June 8, 2014

Milanese Herb Blend

It's been ages since I last posted. Where does the time go? While there are many things that should be on my list to do today - all those overgrown bushes and pesky vines need taming - all I want to do is get into the kitchen and make something up. I have been craving to find the next perfect recipe. I read recipe blogs, surf epicurious.com, religiously peruse the NYTimes dining section, obsessively read my childhood magazine - Sunset, to help spark an idea. One year it was flavored shortbread cookies - I still love those - and I'd be obsessing over desert jam, jelly, marmalade and curds if I was still living in Tucson. My mother makes a fabulous kumquat marmalade from the fruit off our tree in the yard and some year I'm going to be there at the right time to help her out. But, Nashville does not inspire me so. I feel more condiment-y or spice blend-y here. Maybe it's time to make another batch of a Milanese herb blend that friends of ours gave us on our visit with them ages ago. I just have a few dregs of the last batch I made. Our friend, Chiara, made us a beautiful Italian dinner at their home in Milan years ago - I gasp when I recount that it was over 10 years ago. One of the courses consisted of fresh marrow (zucchini) sliced thinly, sprinkled with oatmeal, the herb blend, and a generous dose of high quality olive oil. It was baked until the zucchini were cooked through. Ever since that visit I have been recreating versions of that dish over and over again. For those of you growing zucchini, this is one more option in your ever growing need to find new recipes to use that abundance.

The recipe that follows probably comes nowhere near the original, but it's my best guess based on a flavor memory. If you ever find yourself in Italy and can find a "mixed grill seasoning" you might pick up a package (insaporitore per grigliate), let me know if you love it. I know we did!

Milanese Herb Blend

1 Tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried sage
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
7 dried juniper berries
1 dried bay leaf, approximately 2 inches
1/2 teaspoon dried coriander seed
1/2 teaspoon dried fennel seed
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried parsley

Grind the juniper, bay leaf, coriander and fennel seeds together.  Blend with the salt.  If any of the other herbs are large pieces, slightly grind so they are more uniform and blend well with the salt mixture. You do not want a fine powder, but you do want everything about the same texture so that when you are sprinkling it on your dish you get an even balance of the flavors.

Now I must go contemplate those bushes and vines again. Or, maybe make a batch of shortbread.

No comments:

Post a Comment