Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Fresh Asparagus - go get it now!



If you have the opportunity to buy or mooch fresh asparagus off a friend, do so - immediately!  We were given some fresh asparagus just today and it was amazing.  As a child I remember picking asparagus in orchards my uncles had  - it just grew wild underneath the trees - and I enjoyed it then, but eating freshly picked as an adult - heaven!

Today we just cooked enough stalks to eat with our pork roast.  I took a 10" saute pan (regular, don't use non-stick), filled it with water and a pinch of salt.  Brought it to a boil and put in the stalks and boiled them for about 3 minutes.  I didn't think they needed any additional seasoning.

Tomorrow, maybe Grandma's Asparagus!  Rumor has it that you can get asparagus tamales in eastern Washington that are only available during asparagus season and are divine.  Maybe I'll have to try my hand at that as well.  I just bought a Tamales cookbook while in Tucson.  I'm inspired to attempt them sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment